Health Care Links
Due to the overabundance of healthcare information found on the Internet, it’s often difficult to sort through medical resources to find reliable information. This section offers a number of resources to help you manage your health care. Explore the links below to learn more about Medicare, Medicaid, long-term health care, power of attorney, health care directives, and more.
General Health Care Links
- BenefitsCheckUp Free service that identifies federal and state assistance programs for older Americans. (National Council on the Aging)
- CDC Health Topic - Healthy Aging Covers chronic disease, aging and public health. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Elderly Healthcare Features press releases and research findings. (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
- USA.gov Senior Citizens' Resources Formerly FirstGov.com, features consumer protection, health, retirement, and other resources.
- Healthcare.gov Federal government website managed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Medicare, Medicaid, Medigap and Managed Care
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services The federal agency that administers Medicare, Medicaid and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). Features consumer publications, laws, regulations and more.
- Medicare.gov The official U.S. government site for medicare information. Features Medicare basics, health plan comparison tools and more.
- Medicare for Railroad Workers and Their Families Railroad workers are covered under the Medicare program. (U.S. Railroad Retirement Board)
- Medicaid Consumer Information Includes an overview of the Medicaid program, statistics and more. (Health Care Financing Administration)
- National Health Law Program (NHeLP) Includes Medicare and Medicaid articles, reports and more.
Long-Term Health Care Links
- Avoiding Fraud When Buying Long-Term Care Insurance Published by Alexander, Hawes & Audet, LLP. Covers long-term care insurance, contract provisions, scams and more.
- Long Term Care Wiz Features long-term care insurance basics, glossary, ratings guide and more.
- Nursing Home Compare From Medicare.gov. Provides detailed information about the performance of all Medicare and Medicaid certified nursing homes in the country.
- Office of Disability, Aging and Long-Term Care Policy Includes research projects and reports on disability, aging, long-term care. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Power of Attorney and Health Care Directives
- Your Living Will: The New Advance Health Care Directive Effective July 1, 2000, the Natural Death Act and the laws governing Durable Powers of Attorney for Health Care was replaced by the new Health Care Decisions Law (AB 891 Chapter 658). This new, greatly improved, law should improve the value and acceptance of advance directives. (California Medical Association)